Re: Frost Heaved Hostas

In a message dated 2/13/99 11:05:37 PM Central Standard Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<<
 How deep should a Hosta be planted in a container?

Does your potting soil settle?
1.5 inches I find works the best for me, My soil after a year or two settles
so the eyes on the older pots work their way above the soil line (I have some
Hosta rhapsody that are still mad at me) , but  as of last year and hopefully
the rest of the years ahead i will stay on top of my potting work and have
every thing repotted one or twice a year. ( better yet even sold)
For me when planted 1 to 1.5 inches deep in the spring or mid summer, the next
spring plants have their 'eyes' just covered in the spring.

Paul Henjum
Specialty Perennials
zone 4
Minnesota