temperature sum

Dear Hosta fans
After all those boring dicusions on who named what and when I like to
introduce you to the following I read. Plants( some, all?) flower
when the temperature sum reaches a certain value The temp sum is the
total of the temp (In C) of the day temp above zero starting from 1
februar. It turns that flowering time correlates very well with this
temp sum So say plant A flowers if the temp sum reaches a value of
100 and plant B flowers when the temp sum reaches a value of 500 and
so on. This is a quantatitive way of saying that it was a cold
spring that delayed flowering.
 I dont know or this applies to hosta too.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands