The Fairer Sex

OK, here goes.....I am reading and learning some background info. I find it
disturbing that this is an issue at all. I have a fair amount of scientific
background, and am not ignorant to the fact that people stand on the shoulders
of their predecesors to advance in the scientific arena. We (the current
generations of Hosta enthusiasts and growers) should not have a need to steal
information from each other, or take credit for WORK/RESEARCH (meaning
actually performing the tests, experiments, compilation, organization, etc.)
which was not performed by that individual.

Ignorance of cultural barriers, or other diversity is no excuse in the
scientific community as it is not an excuse in politics. PROGRESS IS GLOBAL!!
In order to advance and expand it is each person's responsibility to learn and
understand "The Rules" which govern the lives of multiple cultures. (I only
bring this up because early in the "debate", it crossed my mind that this may
be an issue.)

 I am in awe of the knowledge of the members of AHS, it is humbling and
inspiring to explore the wealth of information, the areas of work and
cultivation.

There is so much to be done, and much more to learn that true pioneers in this
science of horticulture need not take credit for work which they have not
done. Additionally, those that have betrayed, dishonored, and marred the
scientific community in which they circulate create an atmosphere of mistrust,
and frustration. This behavior undermines the ultimate and mutual goal of the
science and research.

Best Regards,

Lori Johnson
Buffalo, NY