Re: Garden Addictions ...

<< How are you able to fit so much in and not have it look like an overgrown
 mess?  Are most of your plants mature?  Do you go out looking for specific
 plants to fit some purpose or do you bring plants home and then look for a
 "hole" (this is my most often used method). >>

   My most used method is to decide on plants I want and then come home and
make them fit somewhere ... not terribly scientific, but it sure works for
me!!!  I've also managed to creep out onto common ground outside the back
gate ... no one complains and the neighbors seem to enjoy it.  It helps to be
the President of this Association and the Common Grounds Chair!

   Many of my plants are mature, but obviously I can't grow too many of the
larger varieties ... I tend to favor small and medium varieites and I'm
absoutely wild about miniatures (too bad they didn't show up by the pond in
the magazine photos).  I like the look of the plants overlapping one another
and, so far, have not had a problem with disease in the garden.  The
overlapping makes for waves of multicolored, lush foliage that has a very
tropical, yet cooling effect in the summer.  I think the maintenance of turf
grass helps to calm down the overall effect of overplanting and gives the eye
a place to rest ... green hostas also work very well for this purpose!

   I have a multitude of varieities growing in containers of varying sizes
and textures.  The containers are placed on the deck, on the front stoop and
steps, as well as interspersed among the garden beds.  The containerized
plants help to give a little hardscape interest as well as varying "levels"
in the garden beds.

   In any event, I build the garden strictly for myself and I'm really
thrilled when others enjoy it as well ... thanks!