Re: Value for money

> Ben wrote:  (didn't see this come through yet, so posted it again).  >>>I
estimate that more names of people are in the last journal than names of Hosta!
(and about your "fresh thoughts").

Yepper.  You come for the plants, you stay for the people.  And since you made
your post public, I shall do the same.  I wish I could feel better about what
I'm going to say... but you've got it coming.

Save your $51, Ben.  This periodical of the AHS is NOT a scientific magazine and
while it is included for FREE with membership, I would recommend that Nature may
be a magazine from which you would obtain significantly more benefit.  THAT
periodical is $159 (US) ($129 for post-docs), plus shipping, and there is NO
membership fee because there is no club involved.  I am looking at a copy while
I write, and from the articles that I have read of your work with Ploidy
measurements, I can assure you that you would be infinitely more pleased with
what is between its covers.  In fact, since you are complaining about the
magazine AND about the
$51.00, it seems to me that we should make an exception in the dues for you.
Maybe if you live overseas and DON'T wish to receive certain publications, you
should have a smorgasbord of services from which you could choose and you would
not have to purchase the magazine.  Your dues could be dropped significantly.
Maybe you've hit on a good idea and then I wouldn't need to get so angry about
your callous statements.

Let the dues be for membership and a magazine subscription fee be for the
magazine (this should ONLY be available to those overseas, since the cost of
shipping IS so very high.   You shouldn't punish the AHS, however, because of
the costs of shipping.  That is an unfair attack).

If that can't happen, then I would recommend that you ask the editor to simply
change the mailing address for your subscription.  Have Kevin send it to a
friend stateside, or to a library.  Then what you are paying would be purely for
"membership" and this could simply be a kind gesture of philanthropy on your
part.  You could feel good about the donation while no longer having to feel
"bad" about the poor quality of the magazine and having to read all those ads
and silly garden articles.  (I know you can't easily relate, because I don't
believe you were in attendance, but believe it or not some of the people that
were on those buses actually had feelings, and they enjoyed the tours and the
comraderie, and they WANT to relive the experience when they read the articles).

About the ads and the advertisers, for whom you seem to have little
appreciation.  I wonder how tempted they would be to pay the fees if they had
all their ads crammed into the back section?  The advertisers are a very
valuable asset to any publication and I am VERY glad they are there, helping to
support a good cause.

I approach the Journal differently than you.  I look for one new landscaping
idea that I haven't thought of before, and bingo, the annual subscription is
cost justified.  Even at $51, just one good landscaping idea from a picture or
from a story and like magic, my brain justifies the expense.  If you are not
feeling like you get good value from the content, then try to find something
from the pictures.  Look at the back cover of the current issue.  See those two
ponds?  Tell me that these are not worth the price of admission.   Just seeing
the idea of how these were put together makes the fee seem miniscule to me.
It's a pittance compared to what you'd have to pay a landscaping consultant to
draw up a plan for you.    It's a pity that you can't find more good from the
efforts that were taken to help make sure YOU were enabled to vicariously be
part of the experience...

Yes, the content of Nature is on a scientific level that I know you would enjoy
much more.  As I ponder this most recent issue of the AHS Journal and your
discontent, I draw the conclusion that the AHS Journal should NOT be considered
to be worthy reading material for you any longer.  I recommend that if you
INSIST on still receiving the Journal, start thinking of it as a "picture
magazine for Hosta gardeners", with a few words that might be of interest for
the children, or perhaps your wife, or some of those people down at the local
library.  For heavens sakes though, Ben, don't even bother to open the cover any
longer.  Just as soon as it arrives, put it in a brown paper sack (if it doesn't
already have one on it), and then write on the bag, "Donation-take to library".
(Don't leave it laying around with the cover showing or you might be tempted to
open it and that would not be good--we're going for complete closure here. If
you cheat and look at the pictures, you'll mess up the whole plan).  Just ask
that it be taken away and voila--relief from the agony of it all...

A subscription to Nature--yes, indeed, that's what you need.

I just deleted about four other paragraphs I had written in this email. Why
should I bother to try and explain my feelings?  You didn't like my writing in
the journal, what would make me think you would like it any better now here in
this message?  Those four stories may be the best you'll get from me, or the
other authors representing the gardens on the 15 other pages about garden tours
in this issue.   I read all of those articles and I thought most were splendid.
I was very thankful to be asked to help cover a garden, and I was very thankful
that the coverage was published.  Believe it, or not, some have actually said
nice things about the article and I imagine this kind of thing is going on all
around the country, all over the world!

From what I can tell, there is no discrimination going on, other than language
and presentation.  Believe me, I was thankful that Kevin didn't scartch my whole
story and start over, and you should be, too!  Show some gratitude; it can be
becoming.  It's called protocol and it's old-fashioned, but it works.

Thanks for making us feel so good about taking the time to send a little slice
of the Hosta convention over to you, in fabulous four-color pictures, with
excellent attention to detail while we attempted to convey what really happened
at the convention--the emotion of it all from seeing some of the world's best
looking Hostas on display, all primped and primed for our viewing pleasure.
Some who were not able to participate for one reason or another, probably
appreciated the stories...

By the way, I have a pamphlet on Hosta Sports and think it a valuable
contribution.  And, as you kindly saw to it, I have your article on ploidy
chimeras.  Shame that you apparently have such little desire to appreciate the
work of others...

So Ben, I have bad news.  I have had to drop your grade in the people skills
course you're taking (here on earth). While I have been defending you in public,
you have continued to attack, belittle, and whine... You'll have to turn in some
extra credit
assignments pretty soon if you expect to pass this course ....

Andrew Lietzow

(Saddened by the statements of my friend OTP, but still trying to help you get
your wings...)