Re: Repelling Deer

I don't think that the dog needs to be outside all the time.  Deer are creatures of habit, and if they encounter a dog often enough, they will tend to follow a different path in their daily feeding migrations.  For ten years we had a Sheltie that, though an inside dog, was allowed outside unleashed whenever he felt like it.  We never saw a deer.  Within a year of his death, we started to see deer.  My conclusion is that the deer either encountered him (or his smell) often enough that they avoided our property.  Around here deer are most likely to appear at dawn and dusk, so it would seem that letting an inside dog outside during those time periods would be most effective in deterring deer.

Pete Postlewaite