RE: Nice pic of Olive Bailey Langdon...

Hi Andrew,
The link didn't work for me. Any suggestions?
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com [mailto:owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of andrewl
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 3:51 PM
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
Subject: Re: Nice pic of Olive Bailey Langdon...

.... if I do say so myself.  Yesterday, I finished what I am calling the "first pass" of putting up a Russ O'Harra Hosta Society web site.  It's not official yet (as in, not board approved), but it will do until that phase of Societal bureaucracy is complete (jeepers, I hope they like it!).  For the moment, I'm simply calling it a "tribute to Russ O'Harra" web site.  Like every society, we need help with pics, stories, gardens, and more.  Fortunately, there are lots of other good sites to get great ideas from (hello, Kevin W., Carolyn S., Viktoria S. and many, many more...hope I didn't copy your work too much!  8<) )  - and to link to.

As with any web site, these things can grow and grow but you need to get to a point where you can say it's "time to launch this puppy".  You do so long before you're actually satisfied, otherwise you'll be in development for ever and that won't due.   So this is where we are with the http://rohs.org website--at the starting gate.

While not bragging about the photography, and certainly not bragging about the web site, I would however like to direct your attention to the number two picture posted there.  This, IMHO, is one awesome display of a Hosta that bears the name of a famous past AHS President - H. 'Olive Bailey Langdon'.  The plant is pictured on this page  http://rohs.org/pages/hybridizers/main.html  - and it is from the garden of the most honorable namesake of the ROHS Society.

Many of you know Rosanne.  Some of you are even good friends with Rosanne and knew Russ MUCH better than I ever got to know him.  Even without his great Hosta plants, they were such good people that they deserve a tribute.  Fortunately, for us, however, Russ liked Hostas and that is what this site is about -- Russ and the Hostas and people of the ROHS.

This plant is just one example why people are wrong when they say we have too many lookalike Hostas.  Study this picture--I don't see a sun scald on it.  Not to say that there may not be, but it is definitely an improvement over the plant that looks very similar, i.e. H. 'Frances Williams'.  When you can have people in the trade pick out exceptional plants and grow them on, perhaps registering them as a new plant because of some subtle but observable differences, you have people that are doing more than making a contribution--these folks are making a difference.  Oh, it's not like they just walked on the moon, or invented the wheel, the computer, or the pop-top can, but they are using their mind and their observant eyes to notice subtle nuances in a plant that make it exceptional, and worthy of special recognition.   The special recognition we humans give that kind of a plant is to name it, and register it with an official registering agency.  And thanks to those at the ROHS who worked to get those registrations processed.

If I were to attempt to mention all the other hybridizers who make such contributions on a frequent basis, we could fill the page and then some.  (Check out the http://www.giboshi.com web site where there is already such a listing).  What I do believe, however, is that this plant is a uniquely different plant than my H. 'Frances Williams', and while Frances made a definite contribution years ago, Russ made a another one by noticing that THIS plant is indeed different;  it is worthy of being named as a distinct and unique cultivar.

I'm not a horticulturalist, and certainly not a microbiologist, but I "knows what my eyes tells me" and this is one gorgeous plant to behold.  Thank you, Russ O'Harra, for being such an astute observer.  My Hosta-addict hat comes off to you, and all the other hybridizers like you who spend hours and perhaps lifetimes, advancing the genus.  Thanks for making our Hosta collections what they are today, and what they will be becoming tomorrow...

So take your hats off for a moment of silence, as you study old Olive here... and I hope you enjoy my tribute to this awesome Hosta man... and his wonderful Hosta plants.

Andrew Lietzow
(who is now on a temporary "ROHS web site development sabbatical" -- It's time to get ready for spring!)