Re: [hostapix] Tsugaru Komachii

  • To: hostapix@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] Tsugaru Komachii
  • From: andrewl <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 21:14:59 -0600

bob wrote:
>>I don't know what is correct for sure I quess.

Thanks to my brand spanking new copy of "Lemke's Master List (for 2001)", I don't
have to guess at the spelling of this one, Bob.  How can I be so sure?  Well,
because I know Marvin and I know how he spends countless hours checking,
cross-referencing, and painstakingly maintaining his database of Hosta names,
with the goal of 100% accuracy.  He is to names what you are to
pictures--DA MAN!   IMO, there may be only a couple of people
IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, who are as accurate in their Hosta names database as
Marvin.   I could be mistaken but until proven otherwise, I'll have to keep
believing this way.

If you are a supplier, you have kind of a moral responsibility to represent your
products fairly, in all trades. And for Hostas, even though it is a free country
and it's not "illegal" to sell mislabeled Hostas, I believe everyone on these
lists is working hard to ensure 100% accuracy in Hosta names and for good
reason.  When we encounter these named but unregistered Hostas, its hard to know
to which plant we are referring.  Until the plant is officially registered, the
identification issue may be elusive for as Ran has mentioned, there are at least
two forms of Tsugaru Komachi--the all green one and the streaked one.

The $12 investment in this "Master List" of Marvin's is quite miniscule compared
to the cost of inaccurately labeling plants if you are a supplier.  I highly
recommend purchasing and using the list.  With his, you need no others, at least
for the name.

There are two entries in the list for the plant in question.  Entry 1496-CU, H.
Tsugaru Komachi-CU (Unregistered Cultivar) is the correct one.  I suppose other
misspellings exist, but entry 1496-ES H. Tsugara Komichi (Error in Spelling), is
the more common one.  I can see how it would be easy to add an extra "i" because
of plants like H. sieboldii.  (Question... does one enclose the names of
unregistered plants with single quote marks?  '__'.  I think not, but I don't
know if there is a standard convention).

I do hope we'll all continue to advance the importance of accuracy of
at LEAST the name, so that misrepresentations can be kept to a minimum.  Of
course, right behind the importance of the correct spelling of the name is the
requirement for an accurate description.   What will the streaked version of
Tsugaru Komachi be named, Ran?

Is H. Tsugaru Komachi-Streaked an allowable name (I believe Jim Anderson likes to
refer to a plant's streaked version as H. 'Some Hosta-Streaked'.  While this may
be very wise, is it an acceptable ICNCP name?  What say ye, oh learned ones?)

I believe it was Ben Zonneveld who recommended that including the species name in
the registered name is a good idea.  There was a big discussion on this last year
on the net.  I personally think that this is a marvelous idea, even if it is not
officially supported.  There may be good reasons to NOT do this, however, but I
imagine it has a lot more to do with the space available on a nursery plant tag
than anything else.  Can someone tell me if it is okay to refer to plants this
way, e.g. H. montana 'Mountain Snow' or does one get into big trouble?

TIA,

Andrew Lietzow

Andrew Lietzow