A Newbie @ Winter Scientific

Well, I'm back at work this morning since I didn't win the
lottery and I thought I share my experiences from this

It was quite a line-up of speakers, starting with Dr.
Grewal's report on his nematode research. It was really
interesting to listen to all the things this research
studied from hot water, to chemicals, to biological
controls. I'm sorry to say that based on his research thus
far, Dr. Grewal reported that the treatments he used did not
hill the nematodes, but did reduce the quantity present in
the infected plants by 90%. So it looks like we're going to
be living with these puppies for a while longer.

The two environmentally safe ways he said were effective in
controlling the quantity of nematodes (to 90%) were
insecticidal soap and Zerotol.

Next Glenn Herold talked about the hierarchy of what's in a
name. He went through a plants kingdom, subkingdom,
division, class, order, family, genus and finally species.
Very interesting talk. Oh and he expressed his thanks to the
creators of the Hosta Library for the many hosta pictures it
provides. (Go Bob, GO!)

We next heard from Jim Anderson who I really wish had
handouts. He had some very interesting slides of hand
drawings of plant growth cycles and parts of the plants
identified. His talk helped me understand the whole Bap 10
discussions previously had on this forum.

After lunch, Kevin Walek treated us to a slide show on
Daylilies. Another WOW! He had some really great pictures
and talked about daylilies hybridized in the south versus
the north. The big message here was...don't buy a daylily
based on it's picture because it may not look that way in
YOUR garden. I thought the very same thing applied to

After Kevin was Bob Solberg who talked about the Fortunei
series of hostas. He gave us an interesting history lesson
about hostas, their origins and showed some great fortunei
type pictures. He's always a fun speaker to listen to, who
you don't even realize how much you've learned from until
you quit laughing.

And finally, Mark Zilis talked about Sum & Substance and
it's rise to fame. He also talked about hostas who have S&S
in it's parentage, either as a sport, or a seedling.

I had a great time in Chicago, although it was a bit cold
for my Southern blood, it was wonderful to see people, match
faces to names, meet some of the greats, (Van Wade, Pete
Ruh, etc) and just enjoy each other's company.

Oh, let me mention this for those of you who have never met
me. Yes, I am a woman.
You wouldn't believe the look on some folks faces when they
read my name tag and realized I wasn't a man. LOL! Wish I
had a camera!

Thanks to the Midwest Region for putting this event
together, and thanks to Northern Illinois for hosting it.
All your hard work showed, and I appreciate it.  I had a
great time!

Lu (Atlanta, Zone 7B)

Website: http://www.bigfoot.com/~Hostanut