Re: Question for Dr. Grewal

  • Subject: Re: Question for Dr. Grewal
  • From: Parwinder Grewal <grewal.4@osu.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 11:13:02 -0500

Hi Bill,

I know that most effective nematicides are no more available to control
foliar nematodes and there are many restrictions the use of other
chemicals.  In our research, we have discovered that ZeroTol, which is
currently used as a general sterilant/fungicide, is an effective nematicide
against foliar nematodes.  This chemical can be applied by home
owners.  Our findings on ZeroTol and other chemicals to control/suppress
foliar nematodes were published in the Spring issue of Hosta Journal in
2001.  There are also other useful tips and preventive measures described
in that article.

Yes, foliar nematodes can eventually kill hosta plants if they are ignored
for long.  Overtime nematode populations build up on plants and in the soil
around plants.

Parwinder Grewal
Assistant Professor
Department of Entomology