RE: Seeds in the freezer

  • Subject: RE: Seeds in the freezer
  • From: "msbucky" <msbucky@rogers.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:33:12 -0500

Hi Ben

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your new granddaughter is well.... and
the rest of the family.

Some of your comments are very interesting.  I have started 3 more trays,
and per your suggestion they are much wetter than I would normally keep
them... It will be interesting to see how much difference in germination
times and ratios may or may not result.  I'm seriously thinking I will also
use some of this batch and grow them hydroponically in perlite and weak
fertilizer solution to compare rates of growth, both in the plant foliage
and root masses.  Anything to alleviate the boredom of these long winter
days  :-).
I doubt the formation of ice crystals was a factor in the last batch as all
but 3 varieties has been dried for about 2 weeks prior to freezing.

Next year, I will be sure to sow and store different varieties in several
different ways, to have a more properly controlled experiment with less
guess work.

Take care, Ben

Helen