Re: 'Delta Dawn-streaked'

  • Subject: Re: 'Delta Dawn-streaked'
  • From: "Dan & Lu" <hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:35:43 -0500

This came in today at 3:00PM from Chick and bounced for reasons unknown to me.

Dan
=================

Chick wrote:

As far as I know, we have been given no guidance on naming streaked forms
of already named plants.&nbsp; My understanding is that everything should
be named, and unless two plants can be shown to be identical, they should
have different names.
all streaked forms of Delta Dawn are the same plant, but since streaked
plants are unstable, I'm not sure how we could say that any two are identical.&nbsp;
So I guess that if two people find a streaked form of Delta Dawn, they
would have to give them different names.
that is definitely not AHS policy.&nbsp; I would rather name the stable
plant and refer to all of the streaked forms as "the streaked form of 'Whatever'".&nbsp;
Plants like 'Sea Prize' and other streaked breeders that have some standing
should probably get a name of their own, but I can't see naming every streaked
plant that pops up and pretending it's different from the one that someone
else found.
took a very long time to stabilize into a margined form.&nbsp; I don't
know that the original streaked form was ever named and distributed.&nbsp;
Now we have plants that are reverting back to a streaked form and we're
giving all of them new names.&nbsp; I'll have to ponder on this a while,
but at first glance, it doesn't make sense to me.