Journal Criticism

  • Subject: Journal Criticism
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:53:40 -0500 (EST)

I love The Hosta Journal. I have praised it in the past and I have
criticized it too. I try to keep my criticism in perspective with the offer
of help in any way I can.  Also, when I  offer suggestions/ criticisms , I
always emphasize the very real  pleasure that The Journal has given me over
the years.There is nothing less impressive than catcalls on the sidelines
from any of us unwilling to help out.   The Journal is so professional that
it is easy to forget that it is a VOLUNTEER effort. There have been both
good and great issues...at least according to my needs, knowledge, and
desires at the time I read it. It's a pretty personal thing. I come back to
issues years later and find new stuff, that now makes sense. You know, it's
really the history of a movement too......a point that I am sure that
George Schmid might agree with.

I am delighted that there are going to be 3 issues now.  I would like to
mirror what Mike, Harry, and Narda said. With 3 issues, not only does
quantity increase, but there may be the opportunity to offer a greater
variety of  articles, points of view, and deeper explorations of specific
topics.  It seems to me to be a win-win situation.

All of course all of this is VOLUNTEER ,AND IT ONLY WORKS IF MORE PEOPLE
ARE WILLING TO WRITE, SHARE PHOTOS, AND SHARE EXPERIENCES.....AND  DO THE
GRUNT WORK TOO.

 If Kevin Walek  is willing, I would like to ask him to share  the number
of unpaid hours that he spends on a single issue, and just the  what the
other unpaid time of  the other volunteers might amount to for one issue.

My deepest thanks to past, present, and future contributors.

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156