Re: Bruce moving South

  • Subject: Re: Bruce moving South
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:15:41 -0500

Narda, I was " downsized" in 2001 and have relocated with a new job 370 miles south - but Christiansburg, VA is just 20 miles SW of Roanoke, up in the mountains and it isn't any warmer than Delaware. The weather is identical, although winter is indeed 4 weeks shorter, instead of Dec-Feb it is mid Dec to Mid January.

Today it snowed 3 inches during church - then soared to 36 this afternoon with bright sun, then back down tonight in the 20's.

My winter hobby: dividing and cleaning 300-500 clumps that I tried to move but got way behind before the ground froze. Using some old fashioned root proagation technology, I am working on them, in between warming the old body.

I clean the roots, cut off the root rot and old growth, kill slugs and slug eggs, double rinse in bleach and rebag and put in the root cellar. Keep them cold moist and dormant until spring.

Sloooooooow process when it is 25-35 degrees out in the closed garage. I can only work for about one hour before coming in for coffee. But it will keep me young??? No better way to relax then knife in hand and a prize hosta clump with growth tips on it.

bruce