Pictures of Hostas doing badly

  • Subject: Pictures of Hostas doing badly
  • From: "Hank Zumach" zumach@execpc.com
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:36:47 -0600

Because the recent discussion has involved the list I compiled last summer, I
thought it might be helpful to re-post the following message that I sent out
when the list was posted at the Library.

Hi All--About 2 weeks ago I started an admittedly unscientific poll of the
members of Hostapix, Hosta-Open, Phoenix, and Hallson Gardens Forums, asking
that people name their LEAST favorite hosta varieties.  Bob Axmear has agreed
to put the results on the Hosta Library.   OK, OK, So "Loser's Lane" may have
not been the most diplomatic name choice for  the new listing at the Library.
Maybe "Difficult Dozen" would be a more tactful choice (the fact that the list
has 15 entries is a mere technicality).  Simply calling it "Difficult to Grow"
might be the most acceptable.  I'll leave that up to Bob Axmear when he adds
the list to the Library.

The basic idea was to compile a list of plants that are problematic for many
gardeners so that newer hostaphiles can avoid them.  I don't claim that the
list is without flaws but it is probably a pretty good starting point.   I can
imagine modifying/adding to the list as time goes by.  I will admit that the
"rules" for inclusion on the list could be called "arbitrary".  I prefer the
word "informal".  61 people named a total of 81 varieties.  I simply tallied
up the votes and decided that those varieties that got at least 4 votes would
be included.  Here is the way the voting went:

 1.  Lunar Eclipse  10 votes
 2.  Brim Cup  8
 3. Fire & Ice  7
 4. Cherry Berry  7
 5. Great Expectations  6
 6. White Christmas 6
 7. Color Glory  6
 8. Flame Stitch  5
 9. Super Nova  5
10. Knockout  4
11. Patriot  4
12. Tattoo  4
13. Frances Williams  4
14. Sea Thunder  4
15.  White Centered Varieties by general acclimation.

I included the last category because there were a number of white centered
varieties that were mentioned but  did not get enough votes to make the list.

Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI