Re: Hosta Question (4-glen williams?)

  • Subject: Re: Hosta Question (4-glen williams?)
  • From: Marie hostas@gmx.at
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:08:10 +0100 (MET)

> Bill, I  have a thought! When a person buys cut roses for the better half,
> the florist sends along a packet of powder to add to the water to extend
> the life of the cut rose. I have never thought to look to see what the
> ingredients are, but I am wondering if adding this powder to the water
> extend the life of the scape longer?

Hi Larry!

As far as I know the main ingredient of these cut flower powder is sugar and
some desinfectant to prevent bacteria growth in the vase-water (smelly).
Some special ingredients could also be phyto hormones, but those are only used
by professionals to preserve flowers for exhibition (shows). Maybe one should
ask cut flower exhibitors what their tricks are?