Too many hostas--impossible!

  • Subject: Too many hostas--impossible!
  • From: ALICE ZEIGER gardenrat12831@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:35:13 -0800 (PST)

Hey Glen et al,

How can we possibly have too many hostas?  Seriously,
I know what you are saying--it's like art for the
masses.  Where does the art stop and the clutter
begin?  Have we devalued the art by mass production?

Yet speaking as a hosta lover and consumer who will
collect anything (hosta-wise) available, I am always
secretly pleased to find something beautiful in an
affordable situation.  I personally hate Walmart and
all that it stands for, but if I happen upon a nice
hosta held captive there, I feel the need to rescue it
and offer it a place in my garden.

  I understand that real hybridizers may feel very
differently, after all, it's your own art that is
being mass produced and devalued by its ready
availability. Still, speaking for the amateurs among
us, it's hard to imagine having too many hostas.  I
welcome the chance to buy affordable plants that I may
select simply because I think they are lovely. Some of
these will obviously not stand the test of time, or
will fail to grow in my garden.  I'll feel sad about
these, but I'll probably still continue to buy the
ones on my wish list wherever I can find them.
Cheers, and good luck to all you hybridizers--I'm your
customer, just waiting for the next great one to come

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?