Re: A Hosta Plea

 Hey Glenn.

I guess my  tongue in cheek solution to the problem wasn't as rediculous
as I thought. Either that or you're just messing with me.  I wasn't
really suggesting a committee to judge new introductions. Frankly, I
thought the idea of trying to institute rules and standards on growers,
breeders and sellers so ludicrous that my vain attempt at humor would be
obvious. Sometimes I try so hard to be cute that the message gets lost.

I was just trying to point out that there is no solution to the problem,
and then suggest that it isn't really all that big a problem.

Chick

Glen Williams wrote:

  CHick you wrote:

    Come on Glen.  Admit it.  You're sitting up there in Vermont in front of
    the stove, all wrapped up in a quilt, surrounded by portable electric
    heaters, and you're going to be cranky until mid-June when it warms up a
    bit and you can go out and see what made it through the winter.

  Cranky, hmmm...yes. But I have to tell you Chick I do enjoy it when you are
  so completely wrong . It keeps me warm without the blanket or stove. Indeed
  I revel in the warmth of your wrongness.  It is amusing to contemplate A
  COMMITTEE to JUDGE those  HOSTAS WORTHY of being  set before us, in fact I
  can wish membership on this committee to any number of people I know....who
  might even enjoy it...... before they fled the country or were hanged by
  roving mobs of befuddled hosta folk who were sated with mindless choices .
  The best source of judging hostas (WHICH IS NECESSARY) is TIME. Hundreds
  and hundreds of ordinary gardeners growing hostas in their gardens with
  care, hope, and affection. Quality will eventually emerge. No single group,
  no matter their credentials or aesthetic acuities could pretend to provide
  such a service.Still there is some limted serious judging that can take
  place...that can help. I think that the efforts at First Look and the new
  efforts to consider and examine new plants can help us in the long run.But
  not against the present avalance of hostas.

  You went on to write:

    Hosta collectors never had it so good.  Of course there are too many
    hostas.  And too many daylilies, roses, azaleas, tomatoes.  I just
    bought a book with descriptions of 400 different Japanese Maples for
    crying out loud.  The only reason I'm not outraged is that I have enough
    self control to keep myself from buying them all.  Not that I'm
    suggesting that hosta collectors learn to control themselves.

  Chick, you have even managed to arrive at some small truths. It was bound
  to happen and I am happy for you. I clebarte the moment. YES, in one sense
  hosta collectors have never had it so good. And yes, we collectors have
  been in serious need of self control for years. WE CAN'T HAVE THEM ALL and
  that is a difficult lesson to absorb. I, myself, am a member of two
  different 12 step programs and...... my name is Glen and I am doing better,
  thank you. HOWEVER the flood of hostas does all of us a diservice. The
  sheer number of plants, not only fuddle the hosta lovers,  but they put yet
  another yellow brick in the road to our own version 1929 CRASH. The hosta
  market is in La La Land. And  the specter of ENRON-like debacle is on the
  horizon.

  So I say , make your list and be sure you have reservations on the ark.   glen

  "Where there's a will there's a won't." Ambrose Bierce
  Glen Williams
  20 Dewey St.
  Springfield , Vermont
  05156