Winter Dormancy

Me again.

I keep reading that hostas need 700 hours of temps below 40 degrees to satisfy dormancy requirements, originally from Zillis maybe, but also from many others. What does this mean? It works out to 29 days or so. Do you actually need 700 hours when the temp does not get above 40? Does that happen down there in Georgia and Alabama? I realize that we're not talking about consecutive hours, but taken literally, it would mean that if it was below 40 only 8 hours a day it would take almost 3 months to satisfy the requirement. Is that right? Maybe it's colder down there than I thought.

Chick