Re: New Foliar Nematode killer?

  • Subject: Re: New Foliar Nematode killer?
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:33:23 -0800 (PST)

Ran I feel a little like Jim Hawes with this. Please
don't take this as a personal attack.

What is the science behind your experience? Unless you
tested the soil before and after using bleach then you
don't know what happened. Treated and untreated
sections of this area would be needed to prove the
results. The reason I'm making such a point is that
you have a level of respect in the hosta world and
some will assume because you said it is so.

I'm sure this will work but it may not be necessary.

--- ranbl@netsync.net wrote:

> George
> a few years ago, I discovered a large bed of fairly
> mature Hosta 'Gold
> Standard' (60) plants had become completly infested
> with Nematodes.
> After distroying the plants, I let the soil stand
> and the following
> three springs , drenched the area with cholorox
> undiluted.  I let the
> spot sit and a year later planted parts of the area.
>  It has so far
> displayed no more problems
> Ran Lydell
> Eagle Bay Gardens
> 10749 Bennett Rd.
> Dunkirk 14048
>
> > From what I have read, FNs cannot survive very
> long in bare, unplanted
> > soil
> > without host plants. If the soil sits fallow for a
> while, the nematodes
> > will
> > be gone. G.
> > W. George Schmid