Re: Size of Hostas

Alan & Vicky Cahanes wrote:

> You know it really is deceiving when in the descriptions of the size it
> says it is
> a small hosta like Gold Edger.

I don't think it's deceiving at all.  Hostas simply get bigger as they get
older, and the distinctions between dwarf, small, medium, large and giant
are relative, not absolute.  It is a subjective description that considers
both leaf size and clump size at a reasonable age.  If Gold Edger is not
small, what is it?  Is it medium?  If I described it as a medium size hosta,
then you would probably expect it to be the same size as one of the Fortunei
types, which it is not. Could I justify calling Gold Edger a medium size
hosta by explaining that if you grow it for 10 years it might get as wide as
a Fortunei would get after 3 years?

Gold Edger is a small hosta because it is not a medium hosta.