Re: Size of Hostas

Meum71@aol.com wrote:
....I also think that small, medium, large or what ever...
> Has more to do with height than spread.
I am always intrested in perception , when this size question comes up.
Although many gardeners agree that the height is the determinant, most
nurserymen and designers would argue, that as a primary measurement, the
way to categorize any plant is by the greatest dimention first.  In
almost all Hostas , that would be spread.  This also is in accordance
with the US standards for measuring plants.  Although the US standards
apply primirarly to "structural" plants like evergreen shrubs, it is
hard to make the arguemant that Hostas do not fit this catagory.  Since,
height is seldom critical in most garden settings, but the 'space'
needed to grow them , is, we need to first focus on ultimate spread as
the primary consideration.  Just my view here.