Re: Size of Hostas

Meum71@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 1/17/99 1:39:07 PM Central Standard Time, ranbl@netsync.net
> writes:
> << Most
>  nurserymen and designers would argue, that as a primary measurement, the
>  way to categorize any plant is by the greatest dimension first.  In
>  almost all Hostas , that would be spread.  This also is in accordance
>  with the US standards for measuring plants. >>
> So all plants that have indeterminate spread are large plants. I should
> remember that the next time I describe ground covers.
> But on a more practical aspect. The major whole sellers to the retail trade
> sell Hosta by foliage height.
> below is a list from one of them.
> 3-6" small
> 6-10" medium-small
> 10-25" medium
> 15-22" medium-large
> 22-30" large
> 30+very large
> Width is very important, but when working with herbaceous perennial plants, it
> is not
> representative.  Some plants just do not know when they have grown to big.
> Trees and shrubs-tend to fall in to more uniform growth patterns and sizes.
> The nice thing about Hosta or most any other herbaceous perennial -- you can
> divide the plant up to keep it a manageable size if need be.
Everything you say is generally true about perennials.  Many are judged
for  size, by the scape height.  Hostas , however are structural.  Just
like other structural plants, the actual size will depend on location
and condtions.  It is true that dividing will temporarly reduce the
sizr, but I would guess in the case of the majority of hostas used in
landscaping, they are never divided.  Structural plants are usually
placed by a designer , using a "plan" or ariel view.  This allows the
designer tobe sure that the spacing needs are met.  Of course elevations
are important, but must be secondary to space needs.  Some who look at
hosta size also claim that leaf size should be the determenent.  I again
, disagree,  In a structural plant, that is more a texture
consideration.  I will admit that not everyone sees my view point on
this ( can't figure out why!!!!!!) I will just ask those who do not
agree , how many times have you moved a Hosta because it got to tall?
On the other hand, how many times have Hostas been moved because they
got to crowded?
Ran Lydell