Re: soil

Diane Frederick

The question is what will the end result be? With clay it will be better.

If you have sandy soil then "working it in" can be very detrimental to
structure of a very sandy soil. Various organisms especially fungus create
a sticky substance that binds sandy soil together and helps it hold what
little moisture and nutrients it can hold. Tearing up the natural structure
with a roto-tiller or the more compulsive double digging is the worse thing
you could do. I am clearly saying that amending by mixing things with soil
does not agree with recent research in agronomy.

The best way to amend both sandy and clay soil is organic matter on the
surface and let these organisms do their work. If you have sandy soil then
adding a bit of clay with the organic matter will furnish some of the micro
nutrients often missing in sandy soil. The addition of clay can not be done
in a hurry because it will wash right on through. A simple formula is
thoroughly wet some humus then mix clay dust until each little particle of
humus appears to be coated with this dust, then surface apply.

>At my old house, I had both sand and clay in different parts of the
>yard. As for being able to amend one or the other easier, I'd take sand,
>anyday! At least I could dig it, and it didn't become hard as a rock
>when it dried out. I was still able to work in it when I had dry
>conditions.  Can't say that when you have clods of clay that should only
>be used for pottery.

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5