Re: That "drop of fluid" on the stigma

halinar@open.org wrote:
> Ran:
>  If you have a cross you can't get to take even
> though both parents are fertile, try opening the bud 12 to 24 hours
> before they would normally open and pollinate and also pollinate
> flowers 2, 3 and 4 days after they open.
> Joe Halinar
 I am a great believer in observing the way things take place in nature
, and learning from that.  Yes we have thawarted nature, in countless
examples and in more contless examples have learned there is always a
"price to pay".  I have never seen a bee trying to pry open a closed
flower. (leave clausa out of the picture)  But, of course that is
silly!  OK how's this.  On many occasions, when we get one or two "bad"
days I have observed flowers that have opened during that time with no
pollen subsequently showing on the stigma.  The bees don't bother.  I
will bet that long term examination of "out of time" crosses, results in
low fertitity, or poor seed production. or some other problems.  Fourty
three years in horticulture, has taught me to use natural patterns as a
reference point. I would bet on them every time.
Ran Lydell
Eaglr Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY  14048