Re Winter Scientific Meeting (Part Two)

Part Two continues with a discussion of what happened, what was said and
what reactions occurred as a result of the AHS Officials  Panel
Discussion. I am not able to recall every question asked nor all of  the
presented by Kevin to Tom although the list passed through my hands
quickly.I did not read it. I glanced at it and there appeared to be
about seven. I do not know the sources of any of the questions. Nor do I
recall all related follow-up questions asked from the floor. I will
however comment on some questions on which I took notes because they
were of special interest to me.

functioned, Jim Wilkins gave a brief discription of how the Board was
structured and the general responsibilities of various members. He
informed us that the Board was in the process of reorganization with
more members but with fewer "decisionsmakers" ( I thought that was a
step in the right direction). Leaner and meaner was how he characterized
it. (I winced). He gave a brief description of the IAC Program mentioned
in the Journal.   His rationale for  the policy decisions inherent in
the IAC program was the attempt through this program to address problems
involved in the naming and registration status of Hostas as it fits
their eligibility for participation in AHS sponsored activities such as
leaf shows, vending, exhibits,etc. He summarized that "we will work  out
the problems to assure that every plant in the trade will be

 Expanding upon this theme somewhere in the series of exchange of
speakers, Clarence Falstad explained that it is AHS policy that no
unregistered plants will be allowed to be vended in AHS sponsored
events, will not be allowed to be mentioned in the Hosta Journal or
other AHS publications, nor talked about at AHS sponsored meetings, nor
sold at AHS auctions at National Conventions, nor will photos be allowed
of these hostas if they are "named"...only numbers or other
identification will be allowed. A questioner from the floor asked if
this policy extended to regional or local level organizations. While the
"Decisionmakers" were not specific in their answer...(yes or no), they
urged such groups to follow National level guidelines. Jim Wilkins
suggested that some exceptions may occur,  such as when an unregistered
sport of a group of sports may appear together with registered sports in
an educational exhibit such as an August Moon or Golden Tiara Wheel in
an Educational exhibit of this sort. But names would not be allowed,
only numbers or information pertaining to the genetic background, added

The writer was flabbergasted with disbelief. I stood and asked a
follow-up question. I asked if I was correct in interpreting  and
hearing them say what I have written in the preceeding paragraph?
Falstad reaffirmed that what they had said WAS AHS policy. I continued
and asked if this were so, then another talk such as the excellent talk
given by Mark Zilis on Hosta Twins (with slides) , depicting many of the
look- alike hostas and synonyms, many of which were named but
unregistered hostas would not be allowed. I was put down by remarks such
as "Oh, come on, Jim!!! and others  that I don't specifically recall but
the tone of their comments was to belittle my question as ridiculous. To
my recollection, they never did answer it but I sat down in defeat.

Other somewhat less controversial questions were asked such as can
streaked hostas be registered and would stability be used in this
determination. The answers provided by Dave Stevenson were Yes and No,

Another question read by Tom was, what is the position of the Board re
plagiarism? Kevin answered in legaleeze and I think he said they were
agin' it (something that Calvin Coolidge would have uttered perhaps).

Another question asked for the rationale for the IAC Program and its
policy details as a means to achieve an  increased rate of registration.
Whoever spoke (I don't remember who) reiterated WHAT they were going to
do...not WHY they were going to do it.

I admit that my summary comments may not tell about ALL questions that
were raised and discussed. This is because of the fact that the sound
system mike was available only to those answering questions. The
acoustics within the room were such that questions and comments from the
floor could not be heard except by those very close to the
questioner....and most questions were not repeated for benefit of the
audience until the very last. If any readers wish to add other questions
and answers that they specifically recall, please post your
recollections and comments.

The above are my best recollection of what was said and how it was said.
This post concludes my comments for now.... But I will resume on "What
happened after the Meeting" in Part Three which I have not yet written.
Stay  tuned.

Jim Hawes