Re: Judging Leaves.... much to be desired.

At 08:34 AM 7/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>"Does one leaf tell you very much about the worthiness of a hosta?  The
>answer is no."

We run into this question in judging Tropical Hibiscus blooms, too.  People
complain that by exhibiting only one flower, there's no way to just how
good a plant it is. The answer lies in the purpose of the show (I'm
assuming here that it's the same for cut leaf shows).  It is not a contest
among varieties, but rather, a test of the growing skills of the exhibitor.
 Hibiscus judges know the characteristics of different cv's, so can
evaluate which flower is truest to type and grown the best. Sort of like
judging Best of Show at a dog show.

The question about competance of judges is interesting (I have no idea what
is involved). I believe that in the Daffodil Society, certified judges must
"qualify" each year by winning at other daffodil shows. That at least
forces judges to keep up with curent thinking on what makes a good entry..

Gerry

Gerry