Re: statue of Lenin

Bob wrote:

> Anyone need a statue of Lenin. Here is one that starts at 30k and is
> 11.5 ft tall.
> http://search.sothebys.com/browse/viewLot/lotDetail.jsp?LOT_ID=1LM6
> --
> Bye
> Bob
>                 Bob Axmear 208 2nd St Ne  Waukon,Ia 52172-1308
>                 http://www.hostasonline.com/  Hostasonline.com
>                 http://www.gardensights.com  GARDENSIGHTS.COM

I'd love to have one--but 30K! When I first started doing research in
Russia in the mid-1980s, there was one on every corner--you couldn't
swing a dead cat without hitting Uncle Lenin. Now most of them are
propped up in official statuary graveyards--awaiting buyers from the
West. These places are called "museums of urban sculpture". By the way,
I posed a hosta question to a group of Russian friends: "Are there any?"
I'd never seen any there--gardens are either Versailles-type formal
gardens at official buildings and palaces, or they are
cabbage/beet/potato plots tended by the urban poor. The answer came that
now some nouveau riche have decorative gardens on their property, but
hostas are not in evidence. I correspond with a hosta collector in
Sweden, where perennial greenhouses sell a wide variety of hostas; she
has a Russian brother-in-law, and he says he's never seen them there

Kristi A. Groberg, Ph.D.

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."