Re: Wide Brim streaked...

Narda:

>Ah, Joe, you are ruining everyone's fun!  So all the streaky plants
>that I have purchased, at not a cheap price are just going to turn
>into something common,  Oh, foot!

It could turn into something common and then it could turn into
something nice.  I have several streaked seedlings from last years
seed crop that I am watching.  One of them looks like it is reverting
to a form that will end up in the compost pile while another one looks
much more promising.  Supposely, the value of streaked
seedlings/plants is in their breeding potential.  I think all streaked
hostas are ultimately unstable.

>Joe, I forgot to ask, where does one go to learn the above
information, just out of curiosity you understand?

You take some courses in plant anatomy, physiology, genetics and then
combine that with practical experience and observations and then
present your ideas and let other people comment on them from their
perspective and eventually you begin to understand the problem.

Paula:

>And at Don Deans Garden, when I was there for the convention tours,
>there is a powder blue streak with cream streaks. If that one over
>makes it to market I am doomed.

Imagine what that seedling might turn into as a stable varigated
hosta!

Chick:

>Streaked plants are so commonplace that I see no reason to name one
>unless it stabilizes to a plant of some value or unless it is so good
>as a breeder that other breeder's will single it out as one good
>enough to add to their line because they can't easily come up with
>something similar.

I have to agree with you that streaked seedlings shouldn't be named
unless they have some exceptional breeding value.  If they are sold to
numerous people then they will stabilize to the same plant in numerous
gardens and the same stable varigated form will be registed under how
many different names?

Joe Halinar