Re: seed development

  • Subject: Re: seed development
  • From: Doug Beilstein <bpatch@richnet.net>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 21:38:08 -0400

ctuttle39@juno.com wrote:

> When striving to produce seed on a certain pod plant after making one or
> two (or more) crosses, do you, as a matter of practice, remove all other
> flowers and/or extraneous OP pods?  The rationale would be to direct the
> plant's energy to the development of these specific pods from which one
> wants to save seed.
> Charles Tuttle
> Columbus  OH

Charles   As a mater of practice  Jerry Hadrava   pollinates one or two
flowers with the appropriate pollen and then removes the rest of the
scape.   I would rather use the plant one of two ways    shotgun approach or
the single shot approach.     Obviously with the first you will get a wide
variety of off spring with many different pollens with risk that some won't
hit.   But with the later if you cross it as many times as you can with the
same pollen   then in culling your seedlings you will truly have the best
seedling  that that cross can offer.  Charles   I thought you were too
busy to act like a bee   (:^)    later doug   ps    don't forget to
fertilize that plant as she needs the extra energy rather than the limb
removal .......