RE: color blue in June

  • Subject: RE: color blue in June
  • From: "James M. Anderson" <JmaHosta@WinterberryFarms.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 22:17:20 -0400

I knew this would start something.

The differences in June 1 and June 3 (thickness of blue edge) is evident in
the TC material coming out of the lab so it is not environmental.  What they
will look like when they both get to the size of the plants in Bob's
pictures, I do not know.  I would guess Bob's plant is closer to type 3, but
that would only be a guess.  All the June I have seen get a wider edge with
maturity. However, the two types might be indistinguishable at maturity. I
do know that the type 3 came from a plant that Mary Chastain had that I
noticed was different what I had seen.  For a grower selling young plants,
the type 3 would be more attractive.  As Jim says, we will just have to wait
to find out the answers.

Jim Anderson

If this is not enough, we have noticed that H. Illicit Affair comes out of
the lab in three shades of green (the green center that develops with time).
Tony Avent has commented that there is not a single Illicit Affair and wants
me to determine which is the real plant. I would rather just say it has a
variable green center.  We now have three shades of H. Guacamole which we do
not know what to do with.  One is a pale green, another mid green (the true
Guacamole), and the third is very dark green (normal/dark in picture).