Re: Sports...several definitions

  • Subject: Re: Sports...several definitions
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:05:56 -0700 (PDT)

>I believe the most important criteria to consider in defining a sport
>is to determine if the cause of the change is genetically controlled,
>that is, is the plant in question different because of gentic

Any nuclear mutation or cytogeneic change that effects the genotype
may well qualify the new "offspring" as a sport, but what about
transposible elements?  If a transposible element moves from one
location to another location and results in a sport via a "position
effect", does that really change the genetic makeup of the plant?

Joe Halinar