Re: Soil ammending

  • Subject: Re: Soil ammending
  • From: Ray W <wie1086@oh.verio.com>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 19:38:30 -0400

Narda,

I here ya, the 5 gal hole is a chore. I think the 4 gallon bag is good for most
plants in the smaller range. I would think even larger for something like Blue
Angel, say a ten gallon. I really don't believe you need the full depth of
these bags, as they are made for trees, not hosta. A friend just dug up a bed
that had landscape cloth under the raised soil. Although it was deep when he
started, there was only 3 to 4 inches of soil above the cloth. The hosta was
growing fine. Which leads me to: do hosta roots need to go deep? My thinking is
10 inches is all they need. Get a bag that is wide enough to hold a mature
clump, get it as deep as possible, then cut off the excess. The plant will
still be better off without the tree root encroachment.

An added bonus of the bag: you can move the plant without damaging the roots by
digging the bag and lifting. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds feasable.

Ray