Tree Roots

  • Subject: Tree Roots
  • From: DonWachtel@webtv.net (Don)
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 12:17:08 -0400 (EDT)

In the 'soil amending' thread there were comments about placing hostas
in pots or 'bags' to protect them from tree roots.

I have had to lift and replant about 100 hostas over the last 10 years
because of tree root invasion of the planting hole.  I tried the
following three years ago on 30 or so hostas and so far it is working.

I dig a hole about 18" deep, cone shaped at the bottom,  and 18/24" wide
depending on the hosta size.  A shovel-full of gravel is placed at the
bottom of the cone.  The hole is lined with 6 mil black plastic with a
slot cut in  the bottom for drainage.  The top of the plastic at ground
level is hidden with mulch.

In three years the hostas have done very well and show a normal increase
in size.  What I don't know is if the tree roots will eventually
penetrate the plastic.  No one that I have talked to has known the
answer.  Also, from my experience and from what I have read, the major
problem comes from tree roots in the top 12" of soil so I am hoping that
they don't grow down under the plastic and up through the drainage hole.
Maybe the gravel will inhibit that from happening.  In a couple more
years I should know for sure if this method is going to work.

That would solve the below ground  problem but then there are the deer