Re: Tree Roots

  • Subject: Re: Tree Roots
  • From: DonWachtel@webtv.net (Don)
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 19:23:37 -0400 (EDT)

Ray, I do the digging in late winter or early spring when the ground is
'loose'.  It is a lot of work but being bull-headed enough not to let
the roots win out gives the incentive to keep at it.  I guess you could
also say that it was good exercise if you needed another excuse to go to
this trouble.

I live on 40 heavily wooded acres and have several hundred hostas.  I
don't have much choice where to plant them other than near trees.
Maples are the worst but most all trees are  a problem other then the
wild redbuds and dogwoods.  I have some  clear areas that receive 4 to 6
hours of midday sun and the hostas do well there except I get tired of
watering them through July and August.

The 6 mil plastic that I use is construction grade and comes in 10'/12'
widths so there are no seams.  My problem is that I do not know if what
I have done is a permanent solution.