Re: Hostas in pots in the ground

Narda asked...
"...Has anyone planted their hosta in the ground or anything else for that
matter, in clay pots?  We are zone 5 five here and the ground freezes but I
am thinking that as long as it freezes and thaws evenly the clay pot will
not break down.  Anyone at all have any experience in doing this?

Help if you can!..."
Hi Narda,
I am zone 8.  Last year I grew three hostas in the ground in large, cheap,
unglazed, Italian made, allegedly frostproof, clay pots  [18" diameter x 14"
deep].  I deliberately left the top 4" sticking out of the ground and by this
Spring, after a very wet Winter, all the tops had  flaked with frost damage.
When I pulled them out to change them for similar sized plastic, one was cracked
in the hidden body and the other two were ok.
Be prepared for some cracking, but if your tree roots don't penetrate then you
have succeeded at a reasonable cost.
Good luck