Re: Breeders' Rights

  • Subject: Re: Breeders' Rights
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

>I've had it myself for six years and I've sold quite a few.  I done
>alright for myself.  Now it's everyone else's turn.

Without going into the details (unless you want to) of how many plants
you sold at what price and how much you ended up making, what is a
general ball park figure that you feel comfortable making on a new
hosta that you hybridized and how many plants do you like to have
available for sale when you introduce something?

I ask this because I have a Francee sport that is looking quite
impressive.  However, I'm not into hostas big time like many others on
this robin are and my own inclination would be to propagate this one
untill I had maybe a thousand plants and was able to maintain a
production level of 1000 plants per year and then to sell it wholesale
after a few years retail, or sell it to other established growers and
let them do all the customer relations work.  It seems to me that it
really isn't that difficult to come up with some nice hostas if you
keep a sharp eye out for interesting seedlings or sports showing up in
propagation stock.  I could have easily sold this sport to a neighbor
nurseyman who sells to the mass murchant garden centers who would have
then easily sold it to Wal-Mart and then YOU could have easily
observered that it was something special and then you would be making
all the big bucks selling it instead of me!

When I look at hostas today I see them being somewhere where daylilies
were not too long ago.  Today there is a flood of daylilies on the
market and there isn't all that much difference in many of them, and
there is a lot of junk being introduced.  When I go down and visit
Charlie Purtymun and look at all the hostas he has I have to wonder
how some of this stuff ever escaped the compost pile.  Some
hybridizers should be rewarded for their efforts, but some hybridizers
really shouldn't be rewarded at all.

Joe Halinar