Re: Breeders' Rights

halinar@open.org wrote:

> Chick:
>
>   The way I figure it, if I can
> wholesale them for maybe $3 each to star out with then there is little
> incentive for the TC labs to rush out and TC it.

I guess my question would be, if you have a new introduction that you
think is only worth $3, why bother?  You don't have to introduce a plant
just because you have it. If your plant isn't of much value, why do you
want to bother with it?  From a strictly business point of view, if you
are going to grow a plant, why not grow one that is worth more than $3.

>  If I have something that I think is really good then I think
> I can make more money by propagating it to larger numbers and
> wholesaling it.  I see a number of different markets available for
> selling hostas.  The collectors market is relatively small and you
> realy have to be part of that scene to have much success.  However,
> there is also the wholesale market to the people who put out the
> catalogs that are geared to the collectors, but there is also the
> national mail order catalogs such as Wayside and White Flower Farm,
> and there is also the local market.

Why not just grow a good plant that's already available in tc?  I don't
see the point in adding a new plant to the mix that offers no advantage to
anyone, including you.  My guess is that Wayside and White Flower Farm are
not going to be interested in introducing an ordinary plant.

>   It is nice, but I doubt that
> serious collectors are going to be wetting their pants in anticipation
> of getting a plant of it.  That's why I am trying to figure out where
> the best market is for it.

I suspect that my opinion is obvious, but it's your plant.

Chick