gardens and their people

  • Subject: gardens and their people
  • From: HIEESML@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:43:57 EDT

Hi everyone,

About a month ago I asked for recommended hosta stops between Minneapolis and
Omaha. My hosta time ended up being spent in and around Des Moines. I had the
privilege of touring among others the gardens of Joyce Flies and Marvin
(Mike) Lemke.

I've seen pictures and read descriptions of both these gardens so my
expectations were pretty high. I wasn't disappointed. I can only add that
neither the pictures nor the descriptions do them justice.

There was another discovery I made in Des Moines that was far and away a
greater more beautiful treasure than the gardens I was fortunate enough to
view. I'm talking about the gardeners. I was almost embarrassed at how they
went out of the way to accommodate me. It was a fleeting embarrassment as I
was made to feel not a passing visitor from out of town but a friend.

The gardens were fabulous. If ever you have the opportunity to visit either
don't pass them up. More so if you ever have the privilege to visit with or
make the acquaintance of Joyce, or Mike.

Take care,