Re: no subject and New Column

  • Subject: Re: no subject and New Column
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:31:39 -0400

Barbara,

Regarding your questioning the validity  and summary judgments of my
comments, I recall stating to Mary that I had read the two posts very
carefully and I believe I understand fully what Glen said and have
commented, since Glen has "welcomed" commentaries. I have not received
any replies from Glen re the several questions I raised....only from you
and Mary who are in agreement with his proposal. This is fine with me
also.

I am aware of the several conditions mentioned by Glen, including his
statement that he will not be answering questions personally but will
select questions and responses. My view is that in this role, he will be
serving as an arbitrator  to differentiate fact from opinion ( in
science as well as in other subject matter). My commentary is that one
does not usually write one's own job description. Not does an Editor
give carte blanche  to decide what is fact and what is opinion.

As for why Glen left Hosta-open, it was he who did the slandering. It
was he, as an outsider in a debate about policy  and experimental
errors  in non-scientific observations  on pod setting, who attacked me.
Would you like to see some of the old posts so that you can get your
"thinking straight" (your words) regarding the reasons  for his leaving?
Yes, Glen knows the reasons as I do but they are of no interest or
concern to me at this late date.

I reiterate, a discussion of policy is not politics. Politics is the art
and science of excercising power over others for some reason or other. I
have never been involved in politics. But I have always sought better
policies which benefit the majority. Agricultural policy has been one of
my special responsibilities during my 30 year career at a policy making
level in government.  I am also very careful with making distinctions
between  what is truth and what is mere opinion.

I hope this discussion has helped you understand that others may have
valid points of view other than your own.

Jim Hawes

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Barbara wrote:
Jim:

All Glen would like is to have a sort of question and answer in the
Journal.
He offered to coordinate the project as Kevin has enough on his
plate.The
percentage of robin members that are AHS members is small, and this is a
way
of informing other AHS members of what others are thinking. The final
say is
with Kevin Walek. It is not science per say but merely members thoughts
and
observations.
My thinking is that Glen left the Open because of the slandering and
politics, but that is for him to corroborate, if true.

Barbara
MA Z5