eating pods

I have just observed that one pod on one of my plants (obviously it has
to be one that has been hand pollinated and is VERY special) has been
partially eaten.  This pod is on a plant located in a protected area, the
plant is in a pot, the scape is over 24" above the plant (not rabbits
this time, on which I normally blame everything!) and is the only (so
far) pod that I have observed partially eaten.  No insects or critters
observed on any of the plants or plant parts.

Any ideas?