Caffeine and slugs

  • Subject: Caffeine and slugs
  • From: falkora@smig.net
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:14:16 -0500

I did a little experiment yesterday (turned out really gross...worse than anything in biology class!)
I had a little cold coffee in my cup (from fresh ground beans but I make it a bit on the weak side). I found a small slug and poured a few drops of coffee on it. It seemed to crawl a bit faster than normal but no real adverse result. I watched it a while and then smashed it. I thought maybe it needed to be instant coffee and stronger to be effective, so I found a very old jar of instant coffee and made a very strong cup...let it cool so I wouldn't be killing the slug with the hot liquid. In the meantime I found 3 large slugs, put them in a pan with the rest of the reg. coffee. All they did was climb up the sides out of the liquid. Then I poured in the cold instant coffee. That did them in...no climbing, swimming, nothing. But later when I poured them out of the pan, what a sickening mess...I won't describe it and gross you all out!
Linda Kofstad
in dry southern Minnesota