Re: Potting soils...Cornell Mix

In a message dated 07/11/2002 8:18:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hostanut@Bellsouth.net writes:
We would love some feedback on potting soils. I can get 70 cubic yards of ground pine bark for $850 delivered. It is available fine ground and 1/2 inch ground. Which to use?

Our recommendation...
SORRY FOLKS,  but I recommend using a sterilized professional potting mix...I strongly believe you are only asking for problems when you make your own mix...unless you plan to sterilize it yourselves after you prepare it...and that's a huge amount of work...

I know many growers take short cuts and so far have gotten away with it...however with blights, viruses and nematodes becoming more of a problem these days...I'm proud to say we use only new pots and sterilized mixes...there are plenty to choose from...just go to your local wholesale greenhouse supplier!

You asked for my opinion...
Best wishes,

David L. Jennings
20 Pine Street
Scotia NY 12302-2810
Cofounder and First President of the Upstate NY Hosta Society
Owner of Glenville Gardens, Popular and Exotic Hostas
Open by appointment only by calling us at (518) 393-0905

You may also make an appointment via E-mail