Re: Potting soils

  • Subject: Re: Potting soils
  • From: Len Phillips <lenphillips@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:00:33 -0700 (PDT)

I recommend you do some experimenting.  Try some different soil mixes that
are locally available, some purchased, some made yourself.  See how the
same size plants and different cultivars respond.  It will take a year,
but that is how I came up with my soil mix.

It started out being 1/3 garden loam, 1/3 compost, and 1/3 perlite.  I now
have a source of heavily composted gravelly loam, so I just add a bit of
perlite and watch my hostas grow.  Anytime I see something new or
different, I do a test of the product or soil mix compared to what I have
now.  I did discover that my soil mix actually out-performed several local
nurseries, including a couple of purchased soils.  This year I am
experimenting with soil moist polymers.  I'll let you know next spring how
it turned out.

Len Phillips
Editor of Hosta Magazine
Visit http://hostamagazine.com