Re: Carexes

  • Subject: Re: Carexes
  • From: Marie <hostas@gmx.at>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:19:20 +0200 (MEST)

> I have become fascinated with grasses and grass-like plants. I'd like to
> grow
> more Carexes. Particularly C. pendula is one I dont have. Please let us
> know
> sources and some of your favorites (with hardiness zones).
> TY!
> Clyde Crockett
> Carmel IN z5a

Hi Clyde! C. pendula is hardy down to -25°C, evergreen and therefore it
doesn`t like division much.Itīs a huge plant which likes shade and rich, moist,
heavy soils. If it likes it too much it can get quite invasive and self seeds
everywhere! I also got C. morrowii `Evergold` which is quite pretty and also
likes partial shade and moisture. the book says it`s only hardy down to
-10°C. but I`ll try it anyway (hasn`t seen a winter in my garden, yet). A very
recent buy was C. siderosticha `Island Brocade` which has got short, broad
yellow-streaked leaves and a creeping habit. Couldn`t find anything about it in my
book, but was told that it`s also a good hosta-companion...Another grass I
like to put in shade is Luzula nivea with its white flowerheads and hairy
leaves.....Unfortunately, I don`t know any suppliers since I live in Europe and
that wouldn`t be of any help for you. Maybe you could tell me where to find a
key to hardiness zones on the web, since I`m not familiar with these...Bye