Very small insects in hosta crown

  • Subject: Very small insects in hosta crown
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" <hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 06:56:22 -0400

I have been digging a few hostas that weren't growing as I think they should and I've found a very small insect (about the size of the spider mite that gets on Alberta spruce) inside the crown. In each case the part of the crown the insects were in showed decay while other parts of the crown were fine. The leaves from the part of the crown that showed no decay were stunted and I'm sure it's from the damage done by these insects.

This is a new one for me. I feel sure there are several pesticides that would control this insect.  I would like to know what it is I'm trying to control so I can best select the pesticide and method of application.

These insects are small. I mean small.

Any seen these critters before?

Dan & Lu