Caladium guard plants

  • Subject: Caladium guard plants
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:40:35 -0500

Hi, guys.  I read an interesting piece in the local gardening section
Saturday that said snails and slugs do not like caladiums.  This is
fortunate for me and for my hostas, because caladiums, particularly the
white ones, just say summer cool  to me.

I know there is a lot of information about how hostas attract slugs and
molluscs in general, so I suppose it is reasonable that other plants repel
them.  My front shade bed is ringed by a border of caladiums, and I have yet
to find a slug or a snail or any evidence of either.

When I say local column I don't mean the Conroe Courier but the Houston
Chronicle, which we continue to take. It has an extensive gardening section
every Saturday that I find quite helpful.  The Courier has the county agent
writing.  Period.

But, I did order that colinear hoe and a small container of Sluggo from
Peaceful Valley, as recommended on this list.  It was a booger trying to
figure out what went with what on the hoe deal, but I think I not only got
enough but perhaps too much.  Well, more is better.

Ann James
Conroe, TX