RE: Potting soils

  • Subject: RE: Potting soils
  • From: "Mortko, Robert A. (Rob)" <MortkoRA@bv.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:18:14 -0500

Hi Chick,

I started off using ProMix BX (80% peat, no bark) with disastrous results
relative to overwintering rot. Am currently using ProMix BRK (45% peat, 40%
bark) with good results. I checked with Fafard and their Mix #52 is 24% peat
and 60% pine. (The balance in each case is perlite and vermiculite.)

There seems to be a delicate balance between water holding capacity (i.e.
the peat) and good drainage (i.e. the bark). Here's my question. How much
more frequently do you have to water with such a high bark content mix?

As a reference point I water my one gallon container stock about twice a
week in the dead of the summer using the ProMix BRK.

Thanks,
Rob in KC