Hostas that tolerate dry shade?

  • Subject: Hostas that tolerate dry shade?
  • From: RBRSSR@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:13:25 EDT

Dry Shade: I realize this is a situation to avoid, but I am interested in
knowing what hostas are know to tolerate dry shade, like growing under trees
shallow roots with little or no watering.

When hostas go heat dormant, as I understand sieboldianas often do in
southern regions, does this compound the problem when grown in dry shade, or
this survival mode allow them to better tolerate dry shade?

Any comments pertaining to dry shade would be appreciated.

Ray Rodgers, Bartonville, IL, Zone 5