Re: Early Registrations... and Cathy's Clown

  • Subject: Re: Early Registrations... and Cathy's Clown
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:52:22 -0400

Hey Andrew,

Has your dog had his shots?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Lietzow
  To: hosta-open@hort.net
  Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 9:35 PM
  Subject: Early Registrations... and Cathy's Clown

  The discussion on H. 'Cathy's Clown' has been enlightening.   It seems to me
that registering early is the lesser of two evils but as Chic has said, one
doesn't feel quite as violated about the name.  Unfortunately, there will be
no resolution of this desire on the part of gardeners, and growers, to make a
buck when they can from selling cloned plants.   Theft, however, is a whole
'nother story.  Ethics vs. the law.

  Some people even dig them out of public parks (like at Hidden Lake Gardens,
in Michigan) and take them home.  I've heard that is a common practice in
Europe, and much more acceptable, but I'm glad it is illegal here.   Hosta I
"donate" to my church regional office I do not simply "give"--I make sure they
understand that they are on "permanent loan" and only I can take divisions
from them, legally.  Of course, who is going to police this?

  Fortunately, for you Chic, this incident came to light quickly and maybe
there is still something that can be done to increase control on distribution.
It's a dog-eat-dog world out there but our Maggie (a very ferocious Beagle) is
on guard at this very moment.  Hosta thieves, Beware the Dog!

  Get your own family web site at www.MyFamily.com!